Sunday, March 22, 2015

4) language issues First week

This first week reminds me of nervousness that I felt when I came to Kearney,Nebraska 3 years ago.
I am not freaked out as much as I'm used to be thought. Maybe, I just got skilled to go with flow and to bear with situations which are really stressful especially in a new environment.

It is quite interesting to see how all UNK students are getting settle down in unknown place and surroundings because we are all international students here in Czech Republic. Non of us knows Czech very well and even where we are at in city. First couple of days, It was so hard to find a nice place to eat. I tried to be open mined in many ways but I still want to have delicious meals to be satisfied at end of days. It is my thing on must-to-do for surviving list.

I have been struggling with understanding English with accent. Some Czech people can speak in English or at least try to but I have never realized this much how I am horrible at listening English with accents. I can't have any guess what they are saying until I hear perfect English since it is not my first language. The other thing with language issue is ordering food. Most of Czech restaurants do not have English menus so I just basically have to look for pictures or if there were no pictures on menu, I must order a meal randomly. I have no choice beside that. I can't know what I order until it comes in front of me. In all struggling, I have sweet side of it too. "Everyone has been going through same situation."      I always feel there is a wall which separates between Americans and me because I can't speak English perfectly but they can. Now, we all  stand on same line. I think getting together to solve problems with all our brains makes us to be much closer as friends. 

Feeling like I am lost in a maze with my eyes closed. However, I am so glad that I'm also having fun at the same time. Living in foreign country can't be explained into only a word,"experience" but fear, struggling, achievement and whole a lot of emotion.




(language issues)

1 comment: